Teaching & Learning Web “The Horse” concept
“The Horse” concept forms a basis for applied learning methods in combination with experiences. It combines elements of active learning with self-responsibility and enables collaboration across national borders.
«The Horse» concept at Geneva Forum at United Nations, 12/14/2022:
We presented «The Horse» concept at Geneva Forum (youtube.com) at United Nations, the 6th Annual International Conference on Participatory Research, Citizen Sciences, Crowd-Innovation and Fab Labs for Peace and Development, 13 to 15 December 2022, Organized by Objectif Sciences International (osi-genevaforum.org).
We started in late 2015, during this time the so called «befter» method has developed where seven lighthouses (steps) point the way. On September 09 2018 we founded THE ! association (the-horse.education), “The Horse Education” association. In total about 190 published team contributions on dontwastemy.energy originated under “The Horse” concept and the «befter» approach (02/2023). Many student-created videos, surveys, images and interviews have evolved!
Our goal is to spread “The Horse” concept worldwide, to give student teams an infrastructure to collaborate, doing research across national and cultural borders, publish contributions, doing research together in their actual context of environment & technology, improve their cross-curricular competences and give them a place to speak “to the world”. Here you can find some visitor statistics of the website.
Some links to “The Horse” concept
- Übersichtsblatt “The Horse Konzept” (PDF, Deutsch, 03.2023)
- Presentation of «The Horse» concept (youtube.com) at Geneva Forum at United Nations
- teachingweb.org – news and background information about “The Horse”
- teachingweb.org – Neuigkeiten und mehr über das Konzept, Deutsch
- Video testimonials (archive.org), experiences of teachers and students with “The Horse” concept
THE ! association (the-horse.education), the website of our association.
We are happy to have you on board! Become a member and support young people in working together and carrying out environmental projects across countries and cultures.
Some relevant learning methods
- «befter» method (before & after the experience) we use
- bili, CLIL, IDAF (bilingual education, Content and Language Integrated Learning, Interdisziplinäres Arbeiten in den Fächern)
- Active learning (wikipedia.org)
- Interdisciplinary teaching (wikipedia.org)
- COIL (suny.edu) – Collaborative Online International Learning, a similar idea to “The Horse” concept at university level but we additionally use the «befter» method with the 7 lighthouses, a password protected website for collaborative work and a project website (here) to publish the results to achieve a sustainable impact.
- Lehren und Lernen – COIL (zhaw.ch, Deutsch)